Saturday 3 October 2009

Anish Kapoor @ The Royal Academy

Yesterday I attended the late night opening of the Anish Kapoor exhibition at the Royal Academy. It is one of my favourite exhibitions of recent years. I love the way Kapoor experiments with spaces, transforming the very established Academy galleries into his very own playground.


The first gallery was filled with his undulating Hive sculpture, reminiscent of when he filled the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall with Marsyas.


The exhibition feels alive; especially as the scents from each medium permeate the space - from the cool cement of Greyman Cries, Shaman Dies, Billowing Smoke, Beauty Evoked, to the melted wax and smoking cannon of Shooting in the Corner.

(image source: Royal Academy)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I'm not whatever got shot. Not much left of it.

    ReplyDelete