Saturday 13 February 2010

Mark's @ Hix

This week, my friend B and I met up for the first time since December. Although we work within a 15 minute walk of each other, we see each other less frequently than I'd like.

I had wanted to visit the new Hix venue in Soho since it opened late last year. I'm a big fan of Mark Hix's venues and his Chop House in Farringdon is an excellent venue for an unstuffy business lunch.

We decided to start with a cocktail in the basement bar, Mark's. I ordered one of the retro cocktails containing gin and rhubarb from the extensive, reasonably-priced menu. Served in a small sherry glass, its punch belied its dainty appearance.

Due to their licence, we were instructed to order a couple of small dishes to accompany our drinks. Before we had even decided on food selections, our attentive waiter brought us a complementary serving of warm goujons and pea puree. We supplemented these with sides of french fries and pork crackling with apple cider sauce.

Mark's has a grown-up members' bar feel: it's a large enough space not to feel cramped, yet small enough for an intimate chat in surrounds where you can hear yourself think.

No comments:

Post a Comment